I am a life learning Mama and this page is where I like to share things that resonate with me in some way along this wonderful life journey we are on ♥

Saturday 21 February 2015

Free to Shine



Just wanted to share with you something beautiful that my daughter did. She drew this a couple of months ago after watching a YouTube tutorial - no help from anyone just quietly did her thing (at the age of 7) before coming and showing me. Today she found her drawing, took a photocopy of it and added some colour and made it into a card to send to her penpal in Kenya. What makes my heart sing is how unhindered she is in what she wants to do and she continually shows me that children can do great things without us continually guiding them or telling them what they should or need to be learning. She has been diagnosed with dyslexia and reading is just not her thing (although audio books and being read to are ) grin emoticon If she were at school I know her spirit would be crushed as she no doubt would be measuring her reading and writing ability against others her age rather than just enjoying what she enjoys and what she is good at (which is art and music). For me this encapsulates what unschooling is about - letting your child follow their passions and never feeling crushed under the weight of other people's expectations - just being free to shine in whatever way makes you happy - isn't that what all our lives should be about? heart emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment